The Need For A Children’s Hospice Is Clear.
Children diagnosed with progressive life-limiting illnesses are living longer.
While medical advances have enabled many of these children to live longer, there remains a gap:
What resources do families have when there is no cure?
How can children and their parents be better supported through this difficult and uncertain time?
It’s Time… To Learn About Emily’s House
Emily’s House is Toronto’s only residential children’s hospice for children and families facing life-limiting illnesses.
At a Glance:
- 10-bed home-like setting for respite and palliative care
- Professional staff and trained volunteers
- Specially adapted technology for communication and entertainment
- Specially adapted rooms and equipment for very young children, and children with disabilities
- Arts therapy programs for patients and their siblings
- Dedicated play room for children and families to have their own space, and the opportunity to talk to counsellors, medical staff or other care providers about each child’s needs
- A Snoezelen room, a soothing space filled with stimuli for the child’s various senses
- Beds for parents to sleep near their child
In moments of grief and difficulty, Emily’s House helps children and families find support.